As you know I will be spending one month living with (and like) the kids from the Hogar. I won’t only be observing them from a distance, but will be living in the same room as them and using the same facilities and utilities.
But what does this mean exactly? Let’s break it apart:
– I will live in the cuartos of the kids.
– I will have 4 pairs of socks, 4 underpants, 2 jeans, 4 t-shirts, 1 jumper and 2 pair of shoes.
– 2 towels, 1 bar of soap, one toothbrush, my shaver & aftershave and shampoo.
– I will use the same showers (with only cold water), bathroom and laundry facilities as the kids.
– I won’t be using the computer (unless teaching internet class, where I will only check my mail for urgent messages), my phone or my ipod. I will be using my camera to take pictures and videos (memories are something I want to keep in a place more trustworthy than my brain).
– A few books of my choice as well as a notebook (as a diary) and a pen.
– I will have access to 1.25$ a week.
These are some of the basics; some of it even being more luxury items then necessities, but this is how the children live here. As you read this I have already begun this experiment, and I am hoping for it to be fruitful.
Day 68 – Santa Ana